Restoring Generator Performance
Servicing All Generator Brands in Louisiana, Texas, & AlabamaPower outages are unpredictable, and property owners rely on their generators to supply power. If the generator isn’t working, you won’t have the backup power you need, and your property can be left vulnerable to damage. A-Lectric Company and Contracting offers services from highly-trained technicians who are equipped to repair all generator brands and models, and we have 24-hour emergency service available around the Shreveport area to get you up and running as soon as possible.
A standby generator allows you to remain comfortable during strong storms and other power outages. However, the generator needs to be in good condition to provide a reliable source of backup power. If your generator isn’t working or you are having any issues with performance, don’t wait to call for generator repair service.
Schedule generator repair service when:
- The generator won’t start
- You notice leaks
- There is damage to the exterior of the generator
- Maintenance has been neglected
- You get an alert or error code
When the generator isn’t working, you should not wait to call for repair service. An experienced contractor has the tools and expertise needed to locate the problem with your generator and provide fast and accurate repairs.
Maintaining Your GeneratorGenerators can stop working for a number of reasons. Some breakdowns can be avoided with regular preventative maintenance, but it isn’t always possible to prevent every problem.
Common generator problems include:
- Battery malfunctions: A battery that isn’t working right may need to be cleaned or replaced.
- Transfer switches: The automatic transfer switch connects the generator to your electrical panel and switches your power from the utility to the generator when the power goes out. If the switch malfunctions, the generator won’t take over in an outage.
- Generator leaks: Any coolant, oil, or fuel leaks should be repaired quickly to prevent additional damage to your generator.
- Low oil levels: The oil level should be checked regularly, and new oil should be added when needed to avoid engine breakdowns and extend engine life.
- Code violations: A generator needs to be installed according to current codes for safe and reliable operation. If the generator isn’t working due to improper installation, the code violation will need to be corrected.
- Stalling while running: If your generator is stalling, the problem could be caused by bad spark plugs or a clogged fuel filter. An expert technician will check your spark plugs for cracks or normal wear and tear and will check both your air and oil filters for buildup.
Keeping up with annual generator inspections and preventative maintenance can help avoid unexpected generator failure. During routine maintenance, the technician will check and change the oil, look for leaks, test the components of the system, and make sure everything is up to code and working reliably. Any performance issues can be addressed during maintenance visits to prevent repairs.
Call (855) 469-3883 or contact us online to schedule your generator repair or maintenance appointment.
Keeping Your Generator Running
Servicing All Generator Brands in Louisiana, Texas, & AlabamaA-Lectric Company and Contracting provides annual and bi-annual generator maintenance. Our factory-trained and certified technicians are experienced with all major brands of residential and commercial generators. We deliver quality service according to the needs of each customer.
You wouldn’t drive your car for years without oil changes and other basic maintenance. Every vehicle owner knows that the time, money, and effort spent on keeping the car well maintained pays off in better performance and less frequent breakdowns. The same is true for your standby generator. Regular maintenance ensures that your generator is ready for any power outage.
Professional generator maintenance should include:
Generator InspectionThe technician will inspect the overall condition of the generator and specific components, such as fuel supply lines, shut-off valves, the exhaust system, air filter, engine block heater, carburetor heater, and all wires, cables, and connections. The inspection also includes checking for adequate airflow, testing the transfer switch, and simulating a power outage to ensure that everything is working properly.
Generator CleaningKeeping the components of the system clean reduces wear and tear on the generator. Thorough maintenance includes cleaning battery terminals, fuel filter sediment, generator housing, door hardware, brushes, and slip rings. Engine oil should be drained and replaced, and the oil filter and spark plugs should be changed. The engine oil pressure will be recorded.
Generator TestingSeveral components will be checked and tested, including the battery voltages, battery under a load test, battery charging system, governor spring, and safety shutdowns. The generator voltage will be adjusted, and all results of the testing will be documented.
At A-Lectric Company and Contracting, our professional generator services include all of the above and more!
Generator Maintenance In Shreveport & Bossier CityGenerator maintenance should be conducted by a licensed professional, just like a licensed mechanic should handle certain repair and maintenance services for your vehicle. In between professional generator maintenance visits, there are things you can do to optimize generator performance.
You can help keep your generator well maintained by:
- Checking the oil regularly and adding oil as needed
- Ensuring an adequate fuel supply
- Making sure the generator is kept clear of snow, ice, and debris
Benefits from professional generator maintenance:
- You Save Money -When having your generator professionally maintained you save money in the long run by avoiding big issue problems. When a technician regularly takes care of your unit, they can address problems early.
- Helps Fueling -If your generator seems to be having trouble conserving fuel, it may be time to have our professional generator maintenance team come and help. Anything from a clog to a dead battery, we can help!
- Increased Lifespan -Having routine maintenance (even annual maintenance) on your generator can help extend its lifespan. This is because regular maintenance allows it to run at peak performance at all times.
Yearly maintenance is recommended for most residential standby generators. Larger commercial or industrial generators may need maintenance twice a year. A qualified generator service contractor can provide information about the specific requirements of your generator and recommendations for professional inspections and service.
Call (855) 469-3883 or contact us online to schedule your generator maintenance appointment.
Keeping the Power On.
Turnkey Backup Power Solutions in Louisiana, Texas, & AlabamaWe can assess your emergency backup power needs, help you compare generators from the most trusted brands, and provide a free estimate for a new generator that will meet your power needs. Financing is available for generator installation.
If you are considering generator installation, the main options are a portable generator or a standby generator. Portable generators have limited capacity and can generally only run a few things for a short amount of time. When you want to power your whole house, or at least the most vital appliances and equipment, a standby generator is the better option.
A standby generator is a fully automated source of power that provides emergency power for homes and commercial properties during a power failure. When the power goes out during a storm or utility system issue, the automatic transfer switch will disconnect from the utility power supply and switch to generator power. After the power is restored, the transfer switch will reconnect to the utility lines and turn off the generator.
Choosing the right generator is important for ensuring that you will have sufficient emergency power. One important factor to consider is the fuel source. The most common fuel sources for generators include natural gas, diesel, and propane. The best brands offer a wide variety of generators for different fuel types. Some of the best-known brands include Kohler, Cummins, Generac, and Briggs and Stratton.
Choosing the Right Generator For YouThe size of the generator matters. Generators are available in several sizes for residential, commercial, and industrial use. You need to calculate your emergency backup power needs — consider whether you want the generator to power some or all of your home or business and determine the appliances and equipment that will require power, and the wattage. A professional can help you evaluate your power needs and perform the calculations to determine the right size generator for your property.
Standby generator installation involves several steps, including:
- Transfer switch installation
- Installing the generator
- Connecting the electrical wiring for the generator and transfer switch
- Connecting the generator to the fuel source
Electrical work is needed for connecting the generator and installing the automatic transfer switch. For this reason, it is important to hire a licensed and qualified professional for generator installation. An experienced contractor will ensure that the generator is correctly installed and the work complies with all applicable codes. Your contractor can pull all the necessary permits and handle every aspect of the installation.
Signs You Need to Replace Your Generator
While generators are designed to last for many years, they will begin to wear out over time eventually. Some of the most common signs your generator is beginning to fail and may need to be replaced are:
- Your generator is an older model or is several years old
- You are regularly seeing system errors or other issues
- Your generator is consuming more fuel than it used to
- Your generator is starting up more slowly than it used to
- You are experiencing power disruptions when using your generator
Additionally, a home generator may need replacing if you power requirements have changed since installing your current system. If you are noticing any of these signs, contact an experienced technician from A-Lectric Company and Contracting to take a look at your generator. If it can’t be repaired, we can expertly install a new generator for you and your family.
Call (855) 469-3883 for more information or to schedule your generator installation.
Schedule a Free Estimate
It is important to find out what does and does not come with the generator you are purchasing e.g. Transfer switch, composite pad (if not, cement slab may need to be poured, which may require a building permit being pulled), battery, engine oil, antifreeze, and dealer startup to validate the warranty, etc.